Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sous vide pork rack at Le Bistrot


This was the first time that I actually tried sous vide cooking and boy was I impressed. We ordered the pork rack at Le Bistrot that was cooked in sous vide style as it was on the specials menu. When it arrived I was kinda expecting a half tender half tough meat like some of the pork racks that I've tried before but nope, it turned out quite the opposite.

Meat was tender, juicy and cooked evenly from inside out. Most of me was fascinated. This was really the first time that I've eaten anything like this. I thought to myself that the chef must be really brilliant.

I went home after that and did a quick google on sous vide and realised that it is a technique of cooking where they cook the food in an accurately controlled temperature waterbath for a longer time. This controlled temperature is usually lower than the temperature needed to fully cook the food at a shorter time. No wonder there was no overcooking.

This culinary experience really sparked my interest in cooking via the sous vide technique. One of these days I'll definitely make a sous vide dish and post it on here.

PS: If you would like to read more about sous vide machines in your kitchen, do have a look at this article that I've written: The fascinating sous vide technique

No comments:

Post a Comment